TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

Happy Halloween everyone!

Be sure to check out our Halloween 2017 Spooktacular collection.

A current best Halloween animation front-runner is the Sublo & Tangy Mustard Halloween special:

There's a whole Sublo & Tangy Mustard series page if you need to catch up on past episodes! We screened Episode 4 at the Ambler Theater last Thursday as part of our Pico Day Re-Animated event.

Sublo & Tangy Mustard is a series that comes up around here a lot because we love it and artists we look up to love it but like all original content, it's hard to get more eyeballs on it. NG has been doing an admireable job, consistently driving thousands more views per episode than YouTube and Vimeo combined.

This has been our big strength; shining a bigger spotlight on original content. Thousands of views sounds small when you look at popular videos on YouTube and Facebook but I think we're driving higher quality, more engaged viewers. These aren't people who just scrolled past Sublo in a Facebook feed, or had it auto-play in the background after another video finished. We're creating real fans and it was clear at the theater when everybody clapped and cheered during the Sublo intro.

We're fed so much noise nowadays and so much information is fake now. As much as I want NG to be 10x more popular than it is (and as much as we could use 10x more supporters), I think NG is already great and we should all be really proud of what we have going on here.

Something fun I discovered this week: My son downloaded a mobile game called Dan the Man and has been playing it non-stop. When I looked at it I instantly recognized it from a series @StudioJOHO shared in 2013:

• Dan The Man Stage 2
    Dan The Man Stage 2 by StudioJOHO

Falling In Love

Score
    3.97 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

The series ended with a "Coming Soon" promo for the game they were working on:

• Dan The Man Stage 7
    Dan The Man Stage 7 by StudioJOHO

The 8-bit spring

Score
    4.28 / 5.00
    Type
    Movie
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

That game ultimately launched in 2016 and has been a huge hit! It's a fun game, too, check it out on iOS and Android.

While you're in the app store, also check out the latest Visitor game by @Zeebarf, available on iOS and Android as well. It's nice and creepy, just in time for Halloween. NG sponsored the original Visitor web game back in 2007.

• The Visitor
    The Visitor by Zeebarf

An interactive horror adventure

Score
    4.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

There was a time when we were paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in sponsorships and ad revenue. That's never gonna happen again with an ad-based model but it could happen with a lot more supporters. When you see our efforts to highlight new artists while also maintaining 22+ years of Internet history, I hope it makes sense that $3 a month is worth it to see where all this goes.

Today is the last day to carve a pumpkin! Below you'll see a pumpkin by @SevenSeize, am I dropping too many hints?

You can also show your NG pride with a limited run Skelotank shirt by @PhantomArcade or a charming little Tank Pin.

I'll close this with one final fun fact: When you visit NG staff pages on Halloween, you get a piece of candy that appears in your Medals list. This includes historical staff, so hunt around a bit and have a fun Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:17:59 (edited 2017-10-31 15:20:43)

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: We're fed so much noise nowadays and so much information is fake now. As much as I want NG to be 10x more popular than it is (and as much as we could use 10x more supporters, I think NG is already great and we should all be really proud of what we have going on here.

Fo rizzle! They may be bigger than us but we're 10x better! :D

Awesome to hear that Dan The Man became a big hit too, though wish I'd heard about it on NG first! I mean, from the guys who made it, earlier. @StudioJOHO ;) Been a follower since the first episode I think. Great series.

Thanks for the hint on those medals I feel like I might've been missing for a few years now, and Happy Halloween all! Beastly surely much Supporter bringing work @SevenSeize !

Klaudesin
Klaudesin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Melancholy
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:19:24

Happy sp00ks day to you.

I turn water into water

BBS Signature
ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:25:34 (edited 2017-10-31 15:26:14)

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'll close this with one final fun fact: When you visit NG staff pages on Halloween, you get a piece of candy that appears in your Medals list. This includes historical staff, so hunt around a bit and have a fun Halloween!

I stumbled across this last night when I went on JohnnyUtah's page, is this the first year the halloween easter eggs were a thing? or is this a system thats been around for a while? It's a cool little hunt!

Happy Halloween everyone! New site skins are rad!

#BringBackBeardFulp || RIP STATICSKULL

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:26:15

At 10/31/17 03:25 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'll close this with one final fun fact: When you visit NG staff pages on Halloween, you get a piece of candy that appears in your Medals list. This includes historical staff, so hunt around a bit and have a fun Halloween!
I stumbled across this last night when I went on JohnnyUtah's page, is this the first year the halloween easter eggs were a thing? or is this a system thats been around for a while? It's a cool little hunt!

It's actually been around for a good number of years now! We need to set up more accounts to hand out candy, to keep things exciting.

BBS Signature
KieranMaster10
KieranMaster10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:37:45

happy devil day and thanks for the free medals. Also do they disappear after Halloween?

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:38:39

At 10/31/17 03:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's actually been around for a good number of years now! We need to set up more accounts to hand out candy, to keep things exciting.

How about having all the Bots join in? :) P, M, A, I, etc...

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:42:26

At 10/31/17 03:38 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 10/31/17 03:26 PM, TomFulp wrote: It's actually been around for a good number of years now! We need to set up more accounts to hand out candy, to keep things exciting.
How about having all the Bots join in? :) P, M, A, I, etc...

Good call, they would be a good addition.

BBS Signature
IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Animator
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 15:51:01

At 10/31/17 03:25 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote: I stumbled across this last night when I went on JohnnyUtah's page, is this the first year the halloween easter eggs were a thing? or is this a system thats been around for a while? It's a cool little hunt!

Happy Halloween everyone! New site skins are rad!

Same, oddly enough. I dont even know what I was doing on his page but thanks Jeff o_O

Happy Halloween!

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 16:47:34

Happy Halloween to everybody! Glad to see Zeebarf at it again :D

BBS Signature
SimMa-T
SimMa-T
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 17:10:20

Happy Halloween :)

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 17:36:38

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy Halloween everyone!

Happy Halloween @TomFulp! Here's my song for Halloween, everyone.

• Piercing Lazer - Metanoia
    Piercing Lazer - Metanoia by RealFaction

Happy Halloween, have Industrial Metal courtesy of Piercing Lazer.

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

SnackerBoy
SnackerBoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 18:00:04

Hey happy Halloween everyone, I loved watching all the Spooktacular entries. I can see a good future for myself here on Newgrounds, you guys are the best.

Now to binge The Fresh Prince of Bel Air for the rest of my Halloween..

Happy Halloween!

AndoGDTunes
AndoGDTunes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 18:17:43

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote:
We're fed so much noise nowadays and so much information is fake now. As much as I want NG to be 10x more popular than it is (and as much as we could use 10x more supporters), I think NG is already great and we should all be really proud of what we have going on here.

That's the truth!
this site really is great. I've only been here about 6 months, but dude, this place is legit.
thanks so much for creating this @TomFulp!!!!
also, happy halloween!
8)

wowza.
I appear to be creative.

CaveDancer
CaveDancer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 18:46:12

Happy Halloween!

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:02:11

After I finish trick or treating, anyone who isn't a supporter, gets their house TP'd.

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:18:27

@tomfulp I put my supporter pumpkin on my porch and 2 trick or treaters have inquired about it.

Zymbot
Zymbot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:22:06

At 10/31/17 07:02 PM, SevenSeize wrote: After I finish trick or treating, anyone who isn't a supporter, gets their house TP'd.

I prepared for this.

Happy Halloween!

SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:23:52

At 10/31/17 07:22 PM, Zymbot wrote:
At 10/31/17 07:02 PM, SevenSeize wrote: After I finish trick or treating, anyone who isn't a supporter, gets their house TP'd.
I prepared for this.

I just uploaded something to the audio portal about this very situation.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:34:10

At 10/31/17 07:18 PM, SevenSeize wrote: @tomfulp I put my supporter pumpkin on my porch and 2 trick or treaters have inquired about it.

omg were they familiar with the site?

BBS Signature
Andre601
Andre601
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:38:22 (edited 2017-10-31 19:48:00)

You can actually use a little "trick" to find most Candy....

Click on TomFulps page and look at his awards.
Whoopsie?

BBS Signature
SevenSeize
SevenSeize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 19:38:59

At 10/31/17 07:34 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 10/31/17 07:18 PM, SevenSeize wrote: @tomfulp I put my supporter pumpkin on my porch and 2 trick or treaters have inquired about it.
omg were they familiar with the site?

They are now!

Nekoyoujo
Nekoyoujo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 20:00:12 (edited 2017-10-31 20:00:47)

Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

Net Neutrality 2017!
Day-o day-o, mombajee ai-o,
Don't look any further

BBS Signature
Painbringer
Painbringer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 60
Animator
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 20:25:26

Y no Halloween Level Icons this year?

Or winter/Christmas icons for that matter...
SergeiBSG
SergeiBSG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 20:45:39

Happy Halloween!! \o/

Ko-Fi |-----| Patreon |-----| Youtube

Lambtaco
Lambtaco
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 21:55:54

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: This has been our big strength; shining a bigger spotlight on original content. Thousands of views sounds small when you look at popular videos on YouTube and Facebook but I think we're driving higher quality, more engaged viewers. These aren't people who just scrolled past Sublo in a Facebook feed, or had it auto-play in the background after another video finished. We're creating real fans and it was clear at the theater when everybody clapped and cheered during the Sublo intro.

This part is so important. Making an original video on youtube is like taking all your hard work, putting it in a bag, and throwing it in the trash. The recommendation algorithm doesn't account for original stuff and likely never will, so we need curated content providers like Newgrounds to cut through all the me-too clickbait and show us the really creative stuff.

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 21:59:06

It isn't Halloween where I am anymore, but anyway, happy Halloween everyone!

VOID

BBS Signature
StudioJOHO
StudioJOHO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 22:00:35

Cheers Tom,

Yes, Dan The Man is out, created and released by HalfBrick, makers of Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride, who we share an Australian hometown with.
I'm personally not great at updating and marketing on social media etc which explains why this is turning up now.

The game had a long development time, with a lot of twists and turns since 2013 when I published the videos here. It's a lot of fun though. I hope the fans of the series feel its a good conclusion.

My company have been busy in the meantime, we made two pilots for Olan Rogers, FINAL SPACE and LION's BLAZE. The former wis being made into a series for TBS. We're now working on our own pre-school series called BLUEY for 2019 release.
The NG comments I always find the most thought out, I really enjoyed reading them.
Btw I'm still active posting vids (well one so far anyway) on NG under another username, separate to Joho.
have fun animators
joe

At 10/31/17 02:30 PM, TomFulp wrote: Happy Halloween everyone!

Be sure to check out our Halloween 2017 Spooktacular collection.

A current best Halloween animation front-runner is the Sublo & Tangy Mustard Halloween special:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/700632
There's a whole Sublo & Tangy Mustard series page if you need to catch up on past episodes! We screened Episode 4 at the Ambler Theater last Thursday as part of our Pico Day Re-Animated event.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/685167
Sublo & Tangy Mustard is a series that comes up around here a lot because we love it and artists we look up to love it but like all original content, it's hard to get more eyeballs on it. NG has been doing an admireable job, consistently driving thousands more views per episode than YouTube and Vimeo combined.

This has been our big strength; shining a bigger spotlight on original content. Thousands of views sounds small when you look at popular videos on YouTube and Facebook but I think we're driving higher quality, more engaged viewers. These aren't people who just scrolled past Sublo in a Facebook feed, or had it auto-play in the background after another video finished. We're creating real fans and it was clear at the theater when everybody clapped and cheered during the Sublo intro.

Something fun I discovered this week: My son downloaded a mobile game called Dan the Man and has been playing it non-stop. When I looked at it I instantly recognized it from a series @StudioJOHO shared in 2013:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/615160
The series ended with a "Coming Soon" promo for the game they were working on:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/617758
That game ultimately launched in 2016 and has been a huge hit! It's a fun game, too, check it out on iOS and Android.

While you're in the app store, also check out the latest Visitor game by @Zeebarf, available on iOS and Android as well. It's nice and creepy, just in time for Halloween. NG sponsored the original Visitor web game back in 2007.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/404463
There was a time when we were paying out hundreds of thousands of dollars per year in sponsorships and ad revenue. That's never gonna happen again with an ad-based model but it could happen with a lot more supporters. When you see our efforts to highlight new artists while also maintaining 22+ years of Internet history, I hope it makes sense that $3 a month is worth it to see where all this goes.

Today is the last day to carve a pumpkin! Below you'll see a pumpkin by @SevenSeize, am I dropping too many hints?

You can also show your NG pride with a limited run Skelotank shirt by @PhantomArcade or a charming little Tank Pin.

I'll close this with one final fun fact: When you visit NG staff pages on Halloween, you get a piece of candy that appears in your Medals list. This includes historical staff, so hunt around a bit and have a fun Halloween!
FloorAesthetics
FloorAesthetics
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-10-31 22:40:20

That pumpkin is intimidating me in a strange way...

1DarkVoid
1DarkVoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Artist
Response to Happy Halloween! 2017-11-01 01:10:32

Happy Halloween....

Happy Halloween!

Brave Frontier User ID: 53477182
Boom Beach
Player Tag: #UC9Q8J8P