Following
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer

In late September we migrated NG to HTTPS and as part of that transition we replaced our Flash-based audio player with an HTML5-based player.

The player had a number of issues; you couldn't adjust the volume, you couldn't see the time info for the track, a song didn't start until the entire file had loaded and generated a waveform and the player itself had performance issues on some computers.

Today @liljim launched an update that should solve all those issues and more! Take a look:

• Ciara
    Ciara by AliceMako

neonwave

Score
    4.68 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Synthwave
    Popularity

Additionally, the volume control now remembers your volume level, so all tracks will play on your previously set volume. The only exception is mobile (which uses your phones volume setting) and the inline player in our forums (which has been updated to HTML5 but is temporary until forums move to the new layout and gain the global player).

Our audio players now remember where you left off in each track. If you listen to half of a song in our global player (the one that pops up at the bottom of the screen) and click to visit the song's listen page, it will resume at the halfway mark.

We altered the repeat functionality in our global player so you can toggle between "repeat all" to repeat an entire list or "repeat one" to loop the current track.

You can now sit back and listen to an entire list of search results in the global player, which wasn't working before.

In case you haven't done it before, to listen to a song in-page with our global player, click the thumbnail instead of the song title. The song title links to the dedicated listening page.

Playlists are now mobile friendly and use our global player. You can stick the Smoking Potthead Zombies soundtrack on loop and listen all day!

User pages still use the old layout and will utilize the global player in our next update.

Let's celebrate all these musical updates with a musical game!

• Tower of Tune
    Tower of Tune by ReidWade

Help Tempo ascend the Tower of Tune in this mind-bending puzzle game!

Score
    3.97 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

As usual, if you appreciate the continued development of NG, please become a supporter! We need you!

Audio Player Updates!

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
JustAPunnyGuy
JustAPunnyGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 15:52:39

Pretty nice update here, it solved all of my problems with the audio.

ninjamuffin99
ninjamuffin99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 23
Game Developer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:07:25

>tfw no visualizer

anyways good updates!

#BringBackBeardFulp || RIP STATICSKULL

BBS Signature
Andre601
Andre601
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:09:51 (edited 2017-11-15 16:10:43)

I like the new update.

Just used the player today, to listen to Wake the dawn on my smartphone...

I only hope, that the display of the music-stats (rating, lenth, author, author-comment, ...) will be made a bit more visible, because it's still a bit hard to read.

Another thing I've found is something, that hasn't to do with the player, but with the frontpage.
For no reason did Newgrounds make the mobile-design larger then the screen of my smartphone, which resulted in not seeing my profile on the right...

BBS Signature
IvanAlmighty
IvanAlmighty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Animator
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:12:31

At 11/15/17 03:45 PM, TomFulp wrote:
In case you haven't done it before, to listen to a song in-page with our global player, click the thumbnail instead of the song title. The song title links to the dedicated listening page.

Oh shit that's cool!! A play button might make it more obvious but it's cool just to have that around, really dig!

BBS Signature
DoubleDenial
DoubleDenial
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:32:34 (edited 2017-11-15 16:34:23)

I can't be the only one who was expecting visualizers.

Also, the player's really buggy. It doesn't automatically play loops on loop, and when you do set it to loop, it takes like 5 seconds to repeat, totally breaking loops.
And on a sidenote, the time indicator lags behind.

NeonSpider
NeonSpider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:46:39

At 11/15/17 04:32 PM, DoubleDenial wrote: I can't be the only one who was expecting visualizers.

Also, the player's really buggy. It doesn't automatically play loops on loop, and when you do set it to loop, it takes like 5 seconds to repeat, totally breaking loops.
And on a sidenote, the time indicator lags behind.

I haven't experienced any of those, but when you jump around in a song, sometimes the playback will stop and it will refuse to start again. Sometimes you can just keep jumping around and you might hit a spot where it'll start again.

Or in other words, something in the seek behavior is a bit wonky.

Manderby
Manderby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:50:03

Nice work!

I got some problems on Safari here. Not playing until clicked in the waveform and not updating timeline while playing. But which dev wants to optimize for Safari anyway. Seriously that thing is an HTML5 disaster.

You find Let's Plays in German of some Flash games here on Newgrounds on my YouTube channel

BBS Signature
GearWax
GearWax
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 16:55:00

This is neat.

opspotty
opspotty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 17:15:37

The new audio player is fantastic, cheers liljim and Tom!

ChronoNomad
ChronoNomad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 30
Musician
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 17:26:39

These are some fantastic updates, and they fix almost all of the audio issues, but like @DoubleDenial previously mentioned, loops are still busted. Will we be getting back gapless looping at some point? For me it's only a pause of half a second or so from back to front, but that still defeats the purpose.

It would also make sense for them to loop automatically upon load, at least on the track's main page, rather than having to select the option yourself. Although, with the new universal controls, I can understand how that could be problematic. Lack of seamless looping is the bigger of the two issues.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Writer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 17:26:39

Everything seems to work good on my end. Thanks for the upgrade/update.

Click on my signature to check out my Youtube Channel. The Dom and Fro Show!
Check out My Blog
Daily Diary of an Uber Driver

BBS Signature
ZVCH
ZVCH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Animator
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 18:08:14 (edited 2017-11-15 18:12:31)

FINALLY!!! I am so stoked you guys fixed this. The loading was a pain in the ass

Can't wait until we can play audio from the users profile same way as in the audio portal.

Keep up the good work guys, looking forward to more updates

Wardsmith
Wardsmith
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Art Lover
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 18:49:14

Yeah... I get it. The audio player has been fixed, and I am glad about it. But just nothing I've ever seen in software for the Audio Portal beats the old 2010 player with the visualizations such as Soda and Cyclotron.

(I can't remember the real names, that player was made an unperson.)

BBS Signature
agvisitor
agvisitor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 19:03:34

I think there are still bugs with the new audio player. No sound when I try to listen to a song.

GDHexhammer
GDHexhammer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 20:03:19

• Helix - No. 6
    Helix - No. 6 by Helix6

New! Originally 6 minutes 66 seconds. Hard ind. rock.

Score
    3.83 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Industrial
    Popularity

This song is broken for me. The song's length is about 4:12 and the player says it's 3:01. It's the only song i'm having an issue with. Will provide a screenshot or two if it turns out i'm the only one with this issue. Great update other than that, though :D

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 21:04:06

I never tried clicking the thumbnail, that's pretty cool. When the inline player moves to the global one, that'll be even better.

I was thinking about what an HTML5 audio visualizer would look like, if someone could decompile the old SWF visualizers and copy the patterns over. Maybe that'll be my side project.

KyleRoberts
KyleRoberts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 45
Programmer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 21:43:32

Clicking the thumbnail is opening a space up underneath the image, but it's blank. I'm using Chrome. Switched over to Safari and it worked fine. Anybody else getting this?

RemileOduen
RemileOduen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Reader
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-15 23:59:34

Yay! Gonna try it right now

"Please don't tap on the glass. Penguins can see and hear you alright. They just don't care."

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 00:26:52

God bless you @tomfulp and @liljim

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature
Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Writer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 01:02:42

Miss the visualizer

Playing songs in-page is badass, but I feel like it would be more intuitive if you got a "play" arrow upon mousing over the icon.

Duck.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Writer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 03:29:13

Nice update, and not only with the most imp0ortant additions/fixes either! Audio resume feature is really cool, becoming really YT-like there. All missing now are those old, nostalgic, maybe overly ambitious Visualizer things...

Hope the loop looping thing gets fixed too.

Taikeb0
Taikeb0
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 05:13:33

I have problems with the new player. It seems like the pages load fine but the player wouldn't start, it's stuck loading the song. I don't know for sure if it's connectivity issue or is it because the new player is not compatible with chrome.. I can open other pages fine (including youtube and twitch) and also play video normally so i'm guessing it's more of a browser thing?

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 05:41:01

@Manderby what version of Safari and on what OS? I'm sure you've probably told me this before btw (you could use the link I'm about to suggest below, too)... Apple made it a lot tougher to test for Safari when they dropped 'doze support. Everything seems okay on my iPad, which is obviously different from a desktop, but it's the closest I can get at the moment.

@agvisitor dumb question, but did you try adjusting the volume? Click the icon that looks like a speaker. Have you checked your machine's audio properties? Are you able to play audio in other areas of the site (e.g. go to a movie and play that). If so and you're still not having any joy, please go here: https://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

Copy and paste the unique URL you're given to a PM to me.

@KyleRoberts - that sounds like a caching issue too, please clear it and try again.

@GDHexhammer that turned out to be a weird unrelated bug, but it should be fixed in the players (again, you may need to clear your cache).

I've fixed the auto loop on submissions that are specified as a music loop. Looping seamlessly is an issue across all browsers - they don't offer consistent support for it, and so there is no definitive fix for it. I will keep experimenting, although I don't want to burn too much more time on this.

For all other users having problems, please:

1. Clear your cache.
2. Try an incognito window/private browsing session with any extensions you have disabled.
3. Disable any anti-virus software you have running (you really shouldn't have to do this, but it's worth ruling out - and don't forget to turn it back on afterwards).
4. If possible, try another browser and see if you have the same issues there. If you don't, it's most likely a caching issue, or some plugin you have installed for it - mention the browser you're having issues with and the one that works...

and then, if those steps fail:

5. Click the link above, PM the details.

Steve28
Steve28
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 07:57:35

Wow, I talked about a new audio player at the audio forum before, glad the NG approved our opinions!
I especially like the fact that it shows the duration, and can adjust the volume :D

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 20
Game Developer
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 07:58:54

At 11/15/17 04:09 PM, Andre601 wrote: I only hope, that the display of the music-stats (rating, lenth, author, author-comment, ...) will be made a bit more visible, because it's still a bit hard to read.

The audio listen page still hasn't moved to the new layout but when it does, all that info will be more readable on phones.

Another thing I've found is something, that hasn't to do with the player, but with the frontpage.
For no reason did Newgrounds make the mobile-design larger then the screen of my smartphone, which resulted in not seeing my profile on the right...

What mobile OS and browser / version are you running? The layout should adapt to your screen size but maybe something isn't working right there.

Nightmare Cops, the game JohnnyUtah, Spazkid and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
agvisitor
agvisitor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 08:14:06

I was using an older version of Firefox, then I updated to the Quantum version. It works for movies, but not for audio.

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 08:18:44

At 11/16/17 08:14 AM, agvisitor wrote: I was using an older version of Firefox, then I updated to the Quantum version. It works for movies, but not for audio.

What OS?

agvisitor
agvisitor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 08:20:11

At 11/16/17 08:18 AM, liljim wrote:
At 11/16/17 08:14 AM, agvisitor wrote: I was using an older version of Firefox, then I updated to the Quantum version. It works for movies, but not for audio.
What OS?

Windows 8.1

Andre601
Andre601
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Artist
Response to Audio Player Updates! 2017-11-16 08:38:13

At 11/16/17 07:58 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/15/17 04:09 PM, Andre601 wrote: I only hope, that the display of the music-stats (rating, lenth, author, author-comment, ...) will be made a bit more visible, because it's still a bit hard to read.
The audio listen page still hasn't moved to the new layout but when it does, all that info will be more readable on phones.

What mobile OS and browser / version are you running? The layout should adapt to your screen size but maybe something isn't working right there.

I use a microsoft Lumia with Windows 10 Mobile... Not the best OS, but well... It works.
And this was the first time, that this happened. It worked normal before...

BBS Signature